Wednesday 6 November 2013

Six Word Memoirs De-brief

What did I learn about storytelling? 

I learnt it's actually very hard to come up with a six word sentence that tells a story. I'd either have 7 or 5 words and get frustrated and give up. I though writing a 6 word sentence that told a story would be quick and stress-free. It's actually quite time consuming and requires a lot of thought. It took me quite a while to come up with 8, 6 word memoirs that I thought told a story with a lot of hidden meanings and feelings. If you had told me before that you could tell a story using only 6 words I would've thought you were crazy, but you can. 


Where did I show my knowledge about using storytelling skills? 

I feel I used my knowledge about storytelling skills when I had to figure out where to put my punctuation, or to even have punctuation in my sentence at all. It's crazy to think how little punctuation, like a comma or an exclamation point, can really change your sentence in how you read it and the meaning behind it. I thought I showed this skill really well on my third memoir, "let your past, make you better." I put the comma after "past" to help emphasize the separation of your past, and your future. I think it helped show that everyone makes mistakes, but that we learn from our mistakes and become the people we're meant to be because of them. 


What did I learn as a reader, writer, thinker, storyteller? 

As a reader I learned that 6 words can tell a very meaningful story and paint a very vivid image in your head. They can describe multiple meanings and feelings and I think that's amazing. I also learned that I should start reading everything in more than one ways to maybe decipher hidden meanings, and discover a more broad message behind the 6 words. As a writer I learned not to rush my writing and to take my time to make my pieces more meaningful. I also learned that you don't need to write big and detailed paragraphs for your writing pieces to be meaningful and beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment